Monday, April 14, 2014

Poem: Why


Why                                                                                       
                                                                                               
The chance that you would                                                   
touch my shoulder and
I would sprout wings.

That you would speak a
string of words that would
offer a solution to the
world’s most difficult
mathematical problem.

I would.

You are the
woman giggling in the next room,
a driver turning as I go straight,
the first customer after I leave the diner.
Ever, ever, ever on the outbound.

I also know that you may not exist.

I still would.

The possibility that the earth’s next
rotation welcomes a sun that
shines upon a day that I will
talk about until I cannot talk.



From the collection Fields of Satchmo 
Photo by MJV

No comments: